Author Topic: Blerk's Progress  (Read 46327 times)

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
Re: Blerk's Progress
« Reply #520 on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
  :)

Thankyou.
I plink , therefore I am.

Offline IceBlerk

• Sheffield (Just a little South of it, across the border into Derbyshire)
    • My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #521 on: October 04, 2017, 01:09:10 AM »
De nada.
..........so I packed up and went to the pub.

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #522 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
I called at my local gun shop and bought a tin of Daystate Kaiser pellets (in the man's calibre, naturally) because they were recommended by Brocock and by a few reviewers and took myself off to my new permission to zero the Bantam.

I judged 30 yards, paced it out to be sure (pacing is fine for me until i get to the range and I can zero on definite distances) and propped up a target against a safe background (one of those concrete blocks you see used to build temporary central reservation barriers on motorways).

It took me half a dozen shots before I realised that they were landing about 14 inches above my aim point.

14 inches!!!!!!!

Some might be glad of that but I wasn't so i started dialling the scope turret to bring it down. And I dialled and dialled and dialled.

Until the turret could be dialled no more.

But I still needed a mildot of hold-under at 30 yards. Here's a video of a shot I took later that evening at the same sort of distance : Have a Coke and a Smile.

A whole bloody mil-dot out at 30 yards and the turret could give me no more. It was sooooooo bloody frustarting.

So, my questions are these:
  • How do I align the scope so that I can get zeroed on the vertical?
  • Aaarrrrgghhhhh!!!!! Why me?

I'm reaching out to the Planeteers for help and advice (as usual).

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #523 on: October 04, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
Oh! I should say a little more about the Bantam without dwelling on the zeroing ishoo.

It's nice and light, even with the NV rig on it it's still light enough to shoulder easily.

I don't like the way the magazine is loaded as much as the Hatsan mag. With the Hatsan you could just drop a handful of pellets onto the mag and move them into position; with the Bantam mag it's a case of load one, rotate mag, load one, rotate mag, etc. It's a bit more fiddly.

It's not a fault of the gun itself but, as I only have one magazine, I was reloading in the dark too often. With the 5 mag's I have for my Hatsan I could load up 50 pellets on arrival at the perm while I was sat in the car and just swap mag's (if I managed to fire enough shots!!!).

Cocking the Bantam is OK but sometimes it feels like you have to make a little more effort to push the bolt into place. My only comparison for this is, again, the Hatsan. Perhaps it will improve with use.

Whilst my zero isn't right, the grouping seems good.

I've put a moderator/silencer on it and it's very quiet.

It's NOT a "full-length" rifle. To some this may be an advantage. It is to me; the handling and weight balance are great. But to some this may be a disadvantage. I'm talking about those people who have invested in a Boss Snipe shooting chair as they will find that the rifle rest on the chair can easily be too far forward to rest the stock on and such people may find themselves accidentally resting on the barrel itself. Oh! Hang on! I'm one of those people.

Having used the rifle in the field, do I like it? ........................... Yes; the weight, handling and "feel" of the gun are lovely and the shot grouping seems good (but I really need to verify this at the range). BUT ........... I still can't comment on the accuracy of the gun until I get it zeroed.

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #524 on: October 04, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »
Ideally you could do with setting your scope at exactly midway points then shooting a few shots . So say your poi is a mile off  horizontally and vertically. First thing to do is get your horizontal left to right sorted , if it's a proper mile out I'd be looking to see how the barrels secured and be considering rotating the barrel to bring it near to centre , but be aware this can bring other issues which we'll avoid for the time being , but consider some adjustable mounts. Then deal with the other axis I might consider shimming the mounts.
 In a perfect world the scope being centred wants to be shooting near as possible to your zero for reasons to avoid extreme adjustment of the turrets . This is doubley important if your using extra optics on the ocular lens , it throws everything in to turmoil.

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Seagate.

I was scouring the Galactic Network yesterday and decided that I might swap my mounts to lower the height of my scope.

So last night I took the whole thing apart and then realised that the only mounts I have that fit my rifle are the ones that are already on the scope!!!!

What a bugger.

But as I put it all back together I  gave the elevation turret a turn to make sure it wasn't jammed on the stop. And it turned and turned and ........... you get my drift.

I tried it in the opposite direction to make sure I wasn't breaking the laws of "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey". And it turned and turned and ...........

It would appear that my elevation adjustment might NOT have maxed out the other night. But I was SURE that it was.

So I'm back to zeroing again. Which is OK, I'd rather jump through the standard hoops than have to find a way to jump through one that's on fire.

If we assume that I AM NOT a complete idiot and that the turret DID stop moving the other night are there any reasons that might happen? Is it possible that there was something about how I had the scope mounted the other night was preventing me from getting full movement of the turret? Could I have freed that up when I removed and replaced my scope last night?

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
''If we assume that I AM NOT a complete idiot and that the turret DID stop moving the other night are there any reasons that might happen?''

Yes , the near you are to having the turrets centred left to right , the more up and down adjustment you have.

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
..........the near you are to having the turrets centred left to right , the more up and down adjustment you have.

Yes, I realise that but I thought I had hit the limit on the elevation turret when I was trying to find zero but last night there was movement. But I hadn't changed the turret setting since the attempt at zeroing (honest).

I've just re-read your reply and I think I've misunderstood the point you're trying to make.

Can you explain it another way please?

Offline airgunnut

• I aim to please, but usually miss!
    • Doncaster
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
I would centralise the scope (set turrets to the middle) then pack under the rear of the scope with shims of 35mm film negative or folded tin foil.
Did you just stick the scope on the gun without presighting? (clamping the gun in a vice or something then taking one shot at a target then place the scope on the mounts with shims under the right end of the scope to get the cross hair on the bull without touching the turrets) this would be the best method to mount a scope.

To check a scope, get a srtong cardboard box that your scope will rest on, cut 2 "v" one on each side of the box to rest the scope in, with a centralised scope in the 2 v's find a target on a wall or something (make sure the box and scope do not move) on the turrets go 20 clicks to the right then 20 down, now 20 left, then 20 up, if the scope is ok you should find that your back to the starting point.
"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened"
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
  ''Yes, I realise that''  ::)   no you don't.

Do what Airgun tells you , he's good at explaining things .