Author Topic: Blerk's Progress  (Read 39950 times)

Online airgunnut

• I aim to please, but usually miss!
    • Doncaster
Re: Blerk's Progress
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »
It's a new gun, it needs to run in and the barrel needs to lead up a bit, plus the guns new to you, you have to get used to it
"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened"
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline IceBlerk

• Sheffield (Just a little South of it, across the border into Derbyshire)
    • My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
De -cock the rifle so you can safely look at the breach & see the pellet skirt.

What do you mean by "de-cock"? Is that just pulling the trigger with the barrel broken?

If your consistent low & right simply change the scope settings until your on. :)

My "low & right" tendancy seemed to fade towards the end of my session and I put it down to getting used to using a scope and also being more gentle on the trigger.

If I return to "low & right" I'll look to zero the scope as you suggest.
..........so I packed up and went to the pub.

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
Target no6 looks like you're getting somewhere,symetrical and on target.Well done Blerk.

Many thanks. Early days yet but I'm not ashamed.

It's a new gun, it needs to run in and the barrel needs to lead up a bit, plus the guns new to you, you have to get used to it

Yes, the guys at the range said something about running the gun in. I wasn't aware of the concept but it's not unreasonable, I suppose. I was told it would take a couple of hundred shots to get through the process.

What do you men by "lead up"? Is it literally lining the barrel with lead from the pellets?

Online airgunnut

• Doncaster
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

What do you mean by "de-cock"? Is that just pulling the trigger with the barrel broken?
DO NOT DO THIS!!
On some guns there is an anti bear trap to prevent this, it that fails or the gun hasn't got one then the result is a crushed breach block, barrel bent up, shaped stock and posabley crushed fingers.
When teaching my neice how to shoot I told her when she reloads the gun, swap the gun from the right side (she's right handed) so the butt of the gun is on the left hip, with the left hand hold the fore stock, with the right hand slap the end of the barrel then keep the momentum going so you cock you cock the gun, now with your left hand take hold of the barrel, then take your right hand off the barrel so you can load. This insures that your fingers are well away from the trigger and that the barrel is under some control incase some thing goes wrong with the gun and the barrel try's to snap up, (chances are you won't be able to stop the barrel from snapping up but it could buy you a few milli seconds more to get your fingers out of the way)
"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened"
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »
DO NOT DO THIS!!

Okey doke!

I think that might be an important lesson learnt right there!

I think the automatic safety on my gun may help prevent this, yes?

But, what do you mean by "de-cock"?

Online airgunnut

• Doncaster
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
DO NOT DO THIS!!

Okey doke!

I think that might be an important lesson learnt right there!

I think the automatic safety on my gun may help prevent this, yes?

But, what do you mean by "de-cock"?
Insted of trying to decock the gun (you have to hold the barrel as its open then pull the trigger and try to hold on to the barrel as it try's to slam shut) try opening the barrel just enough to put a pellet in without fully cocking it, then close the barrel so it's loaded but not cocked, then check as landy says.
Leading the barrel, the pellets leave a microscopic smear of lead in the barrel (lead is a lubricant, that's why it was in petrol to stop problems with the valves) there are 2 schools of thought, 1; clean the barrel after every shooting session, 2; only clean the barrel when the groups open up
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »
Sometimes new gun barrels need a clean straight away as they can have oil/grease down the barrel to protect from rust whilst they're in storage to be shipped or left over crud from the machining  process.
I plink , therefore I am.

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
I was inspecting my weapon last night and, after I'd finished doing that, I took a look at my rifle to check for pellet shear and whatnot.

I've lost a screw out of my mod! Three holes, two (loose) screws!

They must have worked loose while I was at the range on Friday. Considering I only put about 80-100 down the barrel I'm a tad surprised but hey-ho.

I assume that these babies keep the internals in place so I'm off back to the shop on my way home from work to have it looked at.

I'll post to my progress when I have learned more...................

Online airgunnut

• Doncaster
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
I was inspecting my weapon last night and, after I'd finished doing that, I took a look at my rifle to check for pellet shear and whatnot.

I've lost a screw out of my mod! Three holes, two (loose) screws!

They must have worked loose while I was at the range on Friday. Considering I only put about 80-100 down the barrel I'm a tad surprised but hey-ho.

I assume that these babies keep the internals in place so I'm off back to the shop on my way home from work to have it looked at.

I'll post to my progress when I have learned more...................
Take the screws out of the mod, put some nail varnish on the screw threads, let dry, then fit back in. This will make the screws a bit harder to get out but not as hard as if a proper thread locker had been used
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline IceBlerk

• My YooChoob Channel
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
put some nail varnish on the screw threads

I'll try this once I have a full complement of screws (remember three holes, two screws?).