Planet Airgun

General Airgun Categories => Maintenance, Modifications and Upgrades => Topic started by: Baggawind on January 09, 2015, 01:41:29 PM

Title: Brocock fixed - hopefully
Post by: Baggawind on January 09, 2015, 01:41:29 PM
After discovering  a leak in my little Brocock I had to go about finding the cause. It came apart easily but , to my surprise , it contained quite a lot of dust and even dirt in the inlet valve threads. Now i am fastidious when it comes to keeping my charging gear clean so I can only assume it was there on assembly. Anyway, with the help of my Engineers Lupe I found the tiniest sliver of rubber on the inlet valve O ring . I removed this with a needle. The other surprise was the firing valve. Its a self regulating valve a-la BSA or Falcon. Now a couple of weeks back I did a power check because when new, the rifle was a shade over the top. ( My mate,s was running at 13.8 fpe from new ) Well, the power had dropped to just over 10 fpe. Curios. What I discovered was the valve had extruded material into the transfer hole just behind the valve. I,ve heard of some Air Arms valves doing that but didn,t expect to see it on a rifle only just over a year old. Very carefully I removed the " step " on the lathe then re-assembled the rifle . So far it seems to be holding ( curse the lack of a gauge ). And the power is now a steady 11.4 fpe. Remarkably, I chucked the PitchBlack back on and it was spot on . Phew. Watch out you scaleytails. 
Title: Re: Brocock fixed - hopefully
Post by: rabbit sniper on January 09, 2015, 02:27:42 PM
Good news mel  ;D
Title: Re: Brocock fixed - hopefully
Post by: Gambo on January 09, 2015, 04:52:27 PM
Good news then.

Please keep us informed on how it holds up. ;)