Author Topic: Good riddance  (Read 401 times)

Offline Baggawind

• Planet Airgun's Pied Piper
Good riddance
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
Well I finally got the HW110 back today, after being away for three weeks. It was down on power. The folks at HC had raised the power up to a healthy 11.5fpe so all I had to do was try it out for accuracy. Whilst I was at the shop an old guy was sending a new HW100 back because it was also down on power. When I told him about my rifle his reply was , " you didn,t buy one of those heaps of S--t did you? , They,re having loads of problems with them " Funny, because I also talked to a friend , a well known tuner, about the 110. He wasn,t exactly complimentary about them either. He reckons they are not even built by Weihrauch but by Umarex. He said the reg is from a Walther RM8. The old guy in the shop said the same. Anyway, I took the rifle home and did some tests , using various makes of pellets. All I can say is , it was crap . So, back it went and I got a full refund. Then it was back into the workshop and finish making the magazine set up for my home build. At least that will be reliable.

Offline Steviewhitt

• Weihrauch .22 HW95K (to start with)
    • Congleton, leafy Cheshire.
Re: Good riddance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
So you wouldn't recommend one? I'm interested in the walther rotex rm8, whats  wrong with the reg?

Online IceBlerk

• Sheffield (Just a little South of it, across the border into Derbyshire)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »
.... back it went and I got a full refund.

Did the guy in the shop have anything to say? Have they had others returned?

Offline Baggawind

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with the reg, it,s the whole package that,s wrong. Low power to start with. Why? Don,t they test rifles before sending them out to the dealers? They should do. The trigger is not up to what I would expect from Weihrauch. The magazines can,t easily be installed or removed one handed as you can with all other pcp,s. The side lever feels rough to operate and to cap it all , the bloody thing wasn,t accurate ! The dealer , from whom I buy most of my rifles , had sold ten and had , until I bought mine , had one returned due to being low on power. My dealer is a family business and always give me a good deal and never question my reasons for returning a rifle. Great people to deal with. He said he despairs over the number of pneumatics he has to return . He no longer deals with Daystate because EVERY ONE he has sold has gone back. He reckons BSA aren,t much better and even has problems with the occasional Air Arms. The only ones he,s had no problems with are Gamo Coyotes  ??? So, for now, I wont be buying another rifle, i,ll just carry on rebuilding my home build. I am waiting for a barrel and getting it anodised and powder coated. I still haven,t decided on the colour of the breech, blue or red .   

Online IceBlerk

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline Steviewhitt

• Weihrauch .22 HW95K (to start with)
    • Congleton, leafy Cheshire.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
I'm intrigued, how do you go about making your own air rifle?

I'd also go with red!

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
Sorry to hear of the problems with the hw, it makes very depressing reading.  :(
I plink , therefore I am.

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »
I'd go with black ,  any other colour looks cheap and tacky. 
I plink , therefore I am.

Offline Baggawind

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
I'm intrigued, how do you go about making your own air rifle?

I'd also go with red!
You need access to a lathe and a milling machine and know how to use both to a reasonably high standard. It helps if you are good at technical drawing. Luckily, I love drawing. It also helps if you know how these things work. My first airgun was a pistol, back in ,89. Unfortunately, in those days there was no information , articles, drawings , etc. regarding the internal workings of the pcp. So, I had to invent one myself, so to speak. I found out from the late Gerald Cardew what materials to use and that,s all the help I got. After completing the project I went out , next day , and got second place in an FT pistol shoot. Then I spoke to Barry Macraw , the first guy to use a pcp in FT, and he told me i,d made the valve wrong. Strange , its still in the gun and working 28 years later  ;) And , it has never leaked.

Online IceBlerk

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 06:53:36 AM »
@Baggy : It would be nice to see a pic of that 30 year old pistol. And did you continue to make valves "your way" or have you changed to the "standard way"? (I use the word "standard" advisedly.)