Author Topic: Umarex Gauntlet  (Read 238 times)

Offline IceBlerk

• Sheffield (Just a little South of it, across the border into Derbyshire)
Umarex Gauntlet
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:23:50 AM »
I "follow" AirgunWeb TV on YooChoob and spotted this review:

Umarex Gauntlet Video

I think this might be my next PCP! I'm thinking about it................ I have time to decide before it is available in the shops.

It will sell in the US for $299 (that's about 235 today). So I did a search for a UK retailer and found Solware in Tamworth.

Their price? This is what gets my goat; 350! And that's discounted from 365!

Why should the UK price be so much higher? I work in the logistics industry and I know it doesn't cost >100 to bring something that size, shape and weight into the UK.  >:(

Offline rabbit sniper

• SuperHero Member
  • .22 for men .177 for girlies
    • rochdale
Re: Umarex Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
Our taxes are more expensive than other countries. It's probably been taxed 2 or 3 times by the time you receive it  :'(
Otherwise known as Rabbit Sniffa AKA Cougar Hunter

Offline IceBlerk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »
Well, I'm going to be a bit nerdy here (sorry).

The duty to import an airgun into the EU is 3.2%.

VAT is 20%.

Let's assume that costs, insurance and freight (CIF) for each gun is 20 (not unreasonable if each gun is sent to the EU on its own but high if they're sent over in larger volumes).

Now, let's assume that some bizarre business arrangement means that the dealer over here is paying the US RETAIL price for the gun (surely no business would do a deal like that!), so the cost of each rifle brought into the EU is 235.

Put all the numbers together and you get 235 (gun) + 20 (CIF) + 8.16 (duty) + 48.63 (VAT) = 291.79 (cost to bring a 235 gun into the EU including the gun).

That means that each gun sold at 350 makes over 58 profit; nearly 20% markup.

And that profit assumes that the dealer can't get the guns for better than 235 (the US retail price).

Grrrrrrr................

I should have put this in the "Rant" section.

And, having said all that, when they eventually go on sale over here and they're significantly less than 350 I'll be well chuffed and regret this post.

Offline Richard Saunders

• Reading
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »
You'd better be quiet Blerk in case they put the price up again: I can't see many businesses settling for 'just' a 20% mark up!

Offline Baggawind

• Planet Airgun's Pied Piper
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
I would like to find out where they are actually assembled as they are actually based on a cheap Chinese rifle , the QB79. The only difference is , a new breech block to accommodate the Benjamin magazine ( another Chinese rifle ) and a fancy plastic stock. So , not surprised it,s cheap , in the U.S. at least.

Offline Steviewhitt

• Weihrauch .22 HW95K (to start with)
    • Congleton, leafy Cheshire.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
Is it just me, or does any one else think it looks ugly. I know each to their own, but that isn't for me at any price.

Offline IceBlerk

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
Is it just me, or does any one else think it looks ugly. I know each to their own, but that isn't for me at any price.

I'm sure it's not just you, Stevie.

But I, personally, quite like it.

Both my current rifle have black synthetic stocks and I quite like the "modern" look of that style.