Author Topic: New BAA From Indiana  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Barry in IN

New BAA From Indiana
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
Aside from a little time with an RWS 34 and Webley Tempest 20 years ago, I seem to be back in the airgun game for the first time as an adult.   A BAA*.

I bought a Walther LGU in .22 this spring, and it's been all downhill from there.    Just in the last ten days, UPS and FedEx have delivered a Walther LG53, and a Webley Tempest and Hurricane.   I'm now halfway seriously searching for a nice old springer 10M rifle.

I currently help instruct with our county's 4-H Shooting Sports program, and just recently got the go ahead from my gun club to develop a junior shorting program.  Airguns are a big part of the 4-H program, and will probably be the focus of the gun club's new program.

I'm looking forward to the knowledge to be gained here....and possibly the guns from the classifieds to be gained here.

*BAA-
I stole the term BAA from model rocketeers who rediscover the hobby in their adulthood.  They call themselves BARs- Born Again Rocketeers.   I seem to see a lot of Born Again Airguns around, including myself.

Online airgunnut

• I aim to please, but usually miss!
    • Doncaster
Re: New BAA From Indiana
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »
Welcome to our planet.
"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened"
Winston Churchill
尼尔菲奥里

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
Great to have you on board Barry,it's funny how pastimes from our younger days catch up with us. :).

What do you think of the lgu then,does it shoot nicely?

ATB
   nick
I plink , therefore I am.

Online rabbit sniper

• SuperHero Member
  • .22 for men .177 for girlies
    • rochdale
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Welcome aboard mate. It's a slippy slope lol. Where are you from pal ?
Atvb dave  ;D
Otherwise known as Rabbit Sniffa AKA Cougar Hunter

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm from the USA.  The state of Indiana.  I'm about 30 miles from a race track in Indianapolis where they hold a 500 mile race you've maybe heard of.

The LGU?  I love it.   Granted, when I got it, I didn't have much to compare it to in "real" airguns except the RWS 34 and a Webley Tempest.   I consider it leaps and bounds smoother than the 34.    In fact, it's better/nicer in every category.   
Mine is in .22.  I couldn't ask for better accuracy.  The farthest I've "benched" it (shot it across the rail around the deck while sitting on the back of a chair) was 25 yards and it gave me one-hole groups with a variety of pellets.   Velocity isn't exactly smoking, but it reaches the swinging targets I placed at the edge of the woods 57 yards away, which is all I need. 

I read every report I could find on it, and all talk about how "dead" the LGU was.   No vibration or twang.  Mine isn't quite as good as they led me to believe, but it's not bad.   A little annoying sound, but nothing really felt.   It's nothing like my RWS 34, which feels like hitting a ball with a cracked bat and turns shooting into work.

If I had any negative to say about it, it would concern the weight, but I knew about that going in and actually wanted the extra heft. 
Although, I could do without the automatic safety. 

Sorry for going on, but I am pretty happy with it.

Offline landymick

• Sheffield
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »
Hello there,glad you like the LGU.

The Walther's get mixed reviews mainly good though.I like them myself in fact i've got small collection of them.I still think they are the best out of the box shooters.

Enjoy

Cheers Mick

Online rabbit sniper

• SuperHero Member
    • rochdale
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »
Ah I didn't realise with the topic name must of been half asleep last night when I read it.

Offline seagate

• SuperHero Member
    • Wakefield The Garden of Eden
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
Glad you like your lgu, like most things,they do benefit from a basic relube. The safety if it offends, can be junked -quite a simple operation.

I plink , therefore I am.

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
Ah I didn't realise with the topic name must of been half asleep last night when I read it.

I !want to add that bit of info in the body of my original post but forgot. Who pays any attention o the title after you start on the thread anyway?

Online rabbit sniper

• SuperHero Member
    • rochdale
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 05:49:16 AM »
Haha quite true my friend  ;D